Coventry University is a public research university in the city of Coventry, England. The university was formerly known as Lanchester Polytechnic until 1987, and Coventry Polytechnic until it was awarded university status in 1992. It is part of the wider Coventry University Group.
With more than 29,000 students (as of 2017), Coventry University is the larger of the two universities in the city the other being the University of Warwick and the fastest growing university in the UK. It has two principal campuses: one in the center of Coventry where the majority of its operations are located, and one in central London which focuses on business and management courses. The university group also runs offshoot higher education institutions in Coventry (next door to its main campus), Scarborough, North Yorkshire, and East London, each of which markets itself as being an “alternative to mainstream higher education”.
Faculties and schools
Coventry is divided into three faculties and one school, each divided into different departments:
Coventry School of Art and Design
- Design and Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Industrial Design
Faculty of Business, Environment and Society
- Coventry Business School
- English and Languages
- Geography, Environment and Disaster Management
- International Studies and Social Science
- Coventry Law School
Faculty of Engineering and Computing
- Civil Engineering, Architecture and Building
- Mathematics and Physics
- Mechanical, Automotive and Manufacturing Engineering
- Aerospace, Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
- Biomolecular and Sport Sciences
- Health Professions
- Nursing and Health Studies
- Psychology and Behavioural Sciences
- Social, Therapeutic and Community Studies
English Language Requirements
- Undergraduate courses – IELTS 6.0 or equivalent prior to entry.
- Top up courses – IELTS 6.5 or equivalent prior to entry.
- Postgraduate courses – IELTS 6.5 or equivalent prior to entry.
- The college offers pre-sessional English courses intended to enable understudies to acquire required levels of English dialect capability before beginning their primary degree course.
Accommodation for International Students
- The college suggests that all new international students apply to live in college provides accomodations as this is a decent approach to meet individuals and incorporate rapidly into college life in another nation.
- College-owned accommodation for Coventry University understudies incorporates self-catered choices in an student village environment, or rooms in catered halls. Subject to accessibility, first-year understudies can pick the choice most appropriate to their financial plan and necessities. Most first-year accommodation is on or near the college’s downtown area grounds, so it’s a short stroll to showing structures and other essentials, for example, the library, sports centre and the student support services and social facilities at TheHub.
- Lease for college claimed settlement regularly incorporates service bills and substance protection, making it less demanding for students to deal with their funds.
- Students at Coventry University London have various accommodation options close to campus. Halls of residence include studio and en-suite room options, with either private or shared communal facilities. The university also has a partnership with University of London Housing Services which assists students looking for private housing options.
- First-year students at CU Scarborough also have a number of local accommodation options, all within walking distance of the campus, town centre and beach.
A prosperous medieval town, modern Coventry’s success was based on motor manufacture and engineering. The Phoenix Initiative, a multi-million-pound scheme, has revitalised an area of the city with a series of public squares and gardens alongside cafés, bars and shops. Town-gown relations are generally relaxed, and entertainment is in plentiful supply. Students from the two universities rarely cross paths. Coventry’s students make the most of the city centre, which complements their own sports centre and students’ union.
- City Population: 319,000
- Student Population: 30,000